Broken Crocus

Spring Crocus in bloom
Broken under careless foot
Beautiful still

Sunday, November 21, 2010

It Isn't A Mouse At All!!

Hahahaha.... joke's on us! That little grey mouse we'd only caught glimpses of is actually a silver-grey mole!

And what a healthy coat he has! Well, I guess he should, since he's been living off salmon and free-range chicken cat food.

Last night we were sitting at the table solving all the world's problems when I noticed a grey nose sticking out from under the fridge. "There's the mouse," I said, with what I thought was a remarkable grasp of the obvious.

The slow, fat cat came over and took an interest, crouching into the pounce position. Then, here came the little critter out from under the kitchen counter toward the cat dishes. The cat did nothing. And I said, "hey... that's not a mouse. It's a mole."

To which Hubby replied, "yes it is. And apparently the cat is keeping it for a pet."

"We should call it Digger," I said, helpfully.

"I should get a REAL mouse trap," said Hubby. "And I like Driller better," he added. We watched the mole and the cat for awhile longer, then our daughter came into the room. We told her what was going on.

"I like Digger better," she said, adding her two cents.

"Sorry Dear," I said to Hubby. "You're out-voted."

"Again," he observed.

Meanwhile the mole came out to sniff at a bottle that was sitting on the floor near the sink. The cat watched it, but didn't seem to want to pounce. The mole ducked back under the counter unit and came out a minute later at the cat dishes again. It took another piece. All together it came out 4 or 5 times for a bit of dinner, but before it was done, the cat lost interest and just wandered away.

A mole. We have a mole named Digger living in our kitchen. I wonder what it's fate will be. Hubby was wondering if moles and mice co-exist. "Maybe," he pondered, "if we leave it alone, the mice will stay away."

Heh... my kitchen is turning into some sort of bizarre zoo. :p

2 comments:

  1. Hehe... I can't figure out why the cat doesn't go after it. It's as if she thinks she mustn't... you know, like with the dog. ;o)

    ReplyDelete