Broken Crocus

Spring Crocus in bloom
Broken under careless foot
Beautiful still

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Gluten-free Ravioli

Ok then, sticking in another dietary blog post. I'd been putting this off for awhile, but the daughter asked me to make her homemade ravioli. I've been wanting to cut down on her gluten as well, so even though I'm content for the moment with my brown rice pasta, I decided to go gluten-free for hers.

She can have eggs, so I decided to make egg pasta using quinoa flour. 1 cup quinoa flour, 2 eggs and just a little water, then a bit more flour to work it in. I put it through my pasta maker, but I couldn't get it any thinner than the #5 setting, so you don't really need one. Just roll it out as thin as you can. I cut it with a tart cutter.

I filled each one, dampened the edges just with water, folded and sealed. I made the filling with sauted mushrooms, peppers, garlic, basil and a little already cooked natural beef. Make your filling of whatever you like!

Then I smothered the little raviolis in tomato sauce, again, your choice, and baked in a 350 oven for half an hour. The "cheese" on top is actually vegan cheese. I'm not actually positive it's gluten-free, but it's dairy-free ~ also an issue. But I'll have to check a new package to see if it has gluten. But again, sauce of choice!

My daughter had it for supper. Yes, she liked it. :)

3 comments:

  1. This is fantastic!!! Oh the possibilities! I don't know why I don't play with quinoa more- we always love it when I do. Grain-free! YAY!!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Looks and sounds delicious... I'll just need to find a flour/grain that works for her hypoglycemia & we're all set! Thanks for posting!! :~)
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried making the pasta out of whole bean flour first. That just didn't work. It went too hard too fast to really do anything with. So I asked for suggestions on Twitter, and a twitter friend suggested I just buy rice or quinoa pasta. Not what I wanted, but I remembered that I had quinoa flour in the cupboard and decided to go with that. Very pleased with the results. :)

    ReplyDelete