Broken Crocus

Spring Crocus in bloom
Broken under careless foot
Beautiful still

Friday, July 16, 2010

Aaaa~Choooo!!

Oy, ragweed. It's not sneezy yet, but it's growin' healthy out in my yard, getting ready to bloom and start causing trouble.

Every year in late summer, the news talks about ragweed and the impact the pollen has on so many of us. But I have NEVER seen the photo crew actually find ragweed to show on TV. They film all kinds of natural weeds, often golden rod, which is rarely responsible for allergic reactions.

So here's what ragweed looks like:
Out of the center of this will grow a spike, and the spike will develop little yellow flowers, and those little flowers, in turn, will put out a pollen that could make you sneeze, and make your eyes irritated, etc. (We call it hay fever, but it ain't hay.)

This is the time of year to put on your hat, sunglasses and garden gloves, and go out and pluck out all you can find in your yard, before it blooms. You won't get all the root, so one sunny day about a year from now, you'll have to do the same thing. No big whoop, right? Do your pluckin' then enjoy a nice glass of iced tea and relax. By plucking it out before it flowers, you'll reduce the ill effects for your family. I know, I know... you'll still get sneezy from your neighbours' ragweed. But it's got to start somewhere, right? And getting rid of the ragweed closest to you will help.

Now, if you'll excuse me, my tea is brewing for homemade iced tea, hat on my head, garden gloves at the ready... I'm off to pluck ragweed. Mwahahahaha!

No comments:

Post a Comment