Broken Crocus

Spring Crocus in bloom
Broken under careless foot
Beautiful still

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Heat Waves and Writer's Block

It's hot. Really hot. Should a person who doesn't like winter be complaining? Well... yeah. The humidity is ridiculous.

But being who I am, I decide to make the best of it. I figure I'll do some writing. Sure... too hot to do anything too active, so it's a good time to be getting some words down on paper... um... no... um... screen? Yeah.

Ok, I flashback to the ol' days now and again. At the moment I guess I can just blame the heat.

Problem is, while I don't often have trouble coming up with things to write about, I have my own kind of writer's block. Distractions. I mean, when I write I go to another place in my psyche. I'm deep, man. I'm searching the corridors of my mind for just the right words to use to describe.... whatever. And there, suddenly, in my face, is the face of my teen telling me all about some rocker dude she really, really likes. She's telling me about his latest song, his video, his real name, the names of all his band-mates, his mother's dress size.......

Huh? I was writing here! *sigh* She goes away, but no sooner am I back in those dimly lit corridors of my mind than there's that face again.

"Mom.... Mom.... will you make me a burger"

GEEEEEEZZZZ!!!!! She's old enough to feed herself, for pity's sake! She knows how to use the microwave!!

It's too hot for this. It's too hot to even scold her. Now that I'm distracted, I might as well make her the damned burger, which will keep her quiet for at least as long as it takes her to inhale it.

Done, I sit back down in front of the computer. Where was I?

Hubby walks by. You know, the way the young men where their pants down around their arses just looks stupid. "Pants on the ground, pants on the ground..." And old plumbers whose bum cracks show when they bend over.... geez... gross. But there's something about those new swim shorts on hubby that looks fine. Makes me think of those late winter nights when he crouches naked in front of the wood stove to make sure there's a good fire going. Looks so... so... primitive...

Is it hot in here? Oh wait... yeah.... there's a heat wave. I'm gonna go for a cool shower. So much for the writing.

2 comments:

  1. You're hilarious! It was in the high 90*F here today and Goose had horse therapy. I think we were actually melting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehehe.. I'm thinkin' that's how we got into trouble in the first place. ;o) If not for that sense of humour, ChickiePea, I'm sure I'd be toast. :) And horses... in this heat... whoa. Melting is right.

    ReplyDelete