Broken Crocus

Spring Crocus in bloom
Broken under careless foot
Beautiful still

Friday, July 9, 2010

Lavendar Biscuits...

..sort of. Ok, here's what I did. Using my fave biscuit recipe as a guide, I combined some bean flour, sourghum flour and almond flour. I added a tbsp. of brown sugar, baking powder, and just a tiddle of salt. I used vegetable shortening for the fat needed. Now I can't have dairy, so no milk. My lavendar is fully in bloom and I've been wanting to cook with some, so I went for it. I put in about a tbsp. of the fresh flowers, and for the liquid, I made a light tisane using just a few lavendar leaves. I didn't want to handle the dough too much, so I mixed it and spooned it into muffin tins and put them in the oven.

Now, I'm not giving you the exact recipe because it didn't work. It was by no means my most spectacular failure in the kitchen. The biscuits would almost need to go boom to get there. But it's back to the proverbial drawing board.




They just didn't rise. Now, I didn't use creme of tartar because I don't know for sure if it's gluten free. I must look into that. (I don't actually know what the stuff is. I mean, it isn't creamy, is it? How can a powder even be called "creme?") And I didn't add soda. Thinking now I should have.

So my biscuits were too well cooked on the outside and not cooked enough on the inside... typical of no rising power. However, they were actually kind of tasty anyway and I ate two of 'em for lunch. I probably won't eat all the rest, but I'm not just discarding them all at least.

The other correction I'll make is to add more lavendar. I think I was a little afraid of it, because if you use too much, you can wind up with food that tastes like perfume and is bitter. But with the almond in there especially, there just wasn't enough lavendar. Next time I'll add more flowers and make a stronger tisane.

Onward!

2 comments:

  1. mmmmmm sounds good! keep working on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes ma'am. :) They are good, even tho they're not quite right. They're kinda like cookies. I haven't thrown any out. The few remaining are in the freezer. And you bet I'll keep trying. It's that stubborn streak. ;o)

    ReplyDelete