Broken Crocus

Spring Crocus in bloom
Broken under careless foot
Beautiful still

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Charming... I'm Told I'm Charming

Now, perdiful flowers, they're charming.
I guess old people can be charming too ~ sometimes. And it's true.. I'm gettin' there, but I'm not ready for "charming." What springs to mind is Bette Davis on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. (Told ya I'm gettin' there.) She was his guest and he mentioned that another guest hadn't shown up. She said, "you mean, they didn't even call?" He shook his head. She said,

"cha-a-a-a-r-r-r-ming."


I have oft repeated her. Like the other night, when I went to pick up my daughter at her friend's house. There was another car in the drive. I had no way of knowing what this person wanted to do, but when her back-up lights went on, I figured she wanted out, so I got out of her way. Her way of thanking me was to flip me off once she was most of the way down the drive.

Cha-a-a-r-r-rming.

So, see, I wasn't going for charming. I must have wandered into charming territory by mistake. I'm really just trying to learn new things here and shake my brain awake after years of disuse. So hey, let's look at the news:

Now, this young woman invited some neighbours to stay with her after they were burned out of their apt., in the same building. She also gave them her sub sandwich (which she's allowed to have) at the Subway store where she worked. For this kindness, she was summarily fired. Yes, this is the world we live in: no good deed goes unpunished.


Cha-a-a-a-r-r-rming.


You won't catch me inside a Subway restaurant. Why? Because this is the only way to empower ourselves in our world. You don't like a company? Don't give them your money. Don't like that politician? So vote for someone else, or spoil your ballot if there's no one on there you do like. Otherwise, look to be bitch-slapped for doing a kindness... or for nothing at all.

Yeah ~ cha-a-a-a-a-r-r-rming.

No comments:

Post a Comment