Broken Crocus

Spring Crocus in bloom
Broken under careless foot
Beautiful still

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Telewhoo??


This is a cell phone, something I swore I'd never own. Ok so, this is MY cell phone. Not my fault, hubby gave it to me. It's frustrating. The buttons on it are very small and my fingers not so nimble anymore. I have to use the loudspeaker on it because I'm liable to turn it off if I try to hold it to my ear. Thing is, the loudspeaker button is right next to the terminate call button. Yes, I've hung up on people, even when I didn't mean to. *sigh*

Funnier thing is, younger people don't like to use this. My land line is often tied up.. one thing and another. I have an answering service, but the most frequent message is the sound of someone hanging up. So I give my cell number and suggest they try it. Afterall, the cell phone is usually sitting right next to the other one anyway. But they don't like using it. Hmmm.... they won't leave a message, and they don't like using the cell. Why were these things invented again??


I'm more used to this kind of phone.

Only the one I grew up with was made of metal and could double as a paper-weight or doorstop.

Recently I saw one of these dinosaurs in a historical display and the kid standing next to me said, "wow, how does that thing work?" Made me feel better, for a minute. Then I realized he'd NEVER seen a rotary phone and I just felt old.

"You stick your finger in a number hole and turn the dial," I said.

"Weird," he said, rather neatly summing up the entire telecom system, past and present, and the people who sail on her.

I'm going to get a drum. I'm debating whether or not the learn Morse Code. I think I'll just beat the crap out of it and trust that people will understand.


No comments:

Post a Comment