Broken Crocus

Spring Crocus in bloom
Broken under careless foot
Beautiful still

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Summer... officially.

Mosquitoes don't know when the seasons officially change, but I do. So, mosquito bites and all, we celebrated the Summer Solstice appropriately, with a power outage that forced us to light all kinds of candles and lamps on the longest day of the year. Nice. :)

This is really a strange place to live when it comes to extreme seasons. Winters look like this. It's ok if you enjoy winter sports like skiing, snowboarding, etc. ~ in fact, this is the place for it ~ but I don't. I just never got into it when I was younger because I lived in the city. Skis and subway trains just don't go together. I tried cross-country skiing when I moved here and wound up doing the hills on my bum. Oh, I was fine on flat terrain, but gimme a hill and.... It wasn't cool. It was COLD. Hubby still laughs about it. So now you'll find me by the fire, waving at the crazies who think landing face down, or bum down, in the snow is fun.

And Summer! Ok, it's the gardening season, but it's also the season of heat and humidity made to melt even the coolest jock. Sure, fresh fruit and vege season, but while fruit can go in the freezer, cucumbers can't, and it's a heck of a time to be standing over boiling brine to make pickles. Gotta be done though. I make about 100 jars of dills alone. And yes, they get eaten.
Canadians complain about the weather a lot. There's a reason for that: winter really is too cold and summer really is too hot. Still, summer is the season for barbequing, and enjoying the lakes, and that saves it. I'm pretty sure there are worse places to live. ;o)










2 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos. Sorry you had all of that snow! Just traveled through a town that had had a tornado the day before. It was awful.......tornadoes and trailers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Monica! That was a beautiful winter, but a good one to stay indoors. ;o) And yeah.. tornadoes and trailers. Geez. :)

    ReplyDelete